Friday, April 07, 2006


There are so many great things about being home. You don't have the noise of the hospital - yes it is noisy. You have your own bed. You have your hobbies. But coming home after surgery can be a little scary too! Many people said,” I hope they did not send you home to early." "I hope they know what they are doing." You also find out when you get home that you can't do what you think you should be able to do. And this tends to scare you. For example the first time I walked up the stairs to bed that Tuesday evening I could not believe how winded I was. The next day we did the Ikea marathon walk. The walk itself was not so bad but there is a number of stairs to get to the second floor and I have never felt so winded as when I got to the top. I had to stop and just rest. For someone like me that likes to spend 20 minutes on a stepper this was a bit of a shock. I guess the thing about being home is you don't have someone you can talk to if you have a concern about how you are healing. While you are in the hospital you can easily get an answer.

What you learn after surgery is you need to try every task on for size first and make sure your capable of doing it before you attempt in with any real effort. You need to be prepared to take a rest and perhaps leave a job over for the second day. You will have days where you just need to take a nap and if your not careful one of your loving children just might catch you in the act when you come over for dinner (see above picture). All in all being home is the best place to heal when you are past the critical stages.

It has been over 2 weeks now since my surgery and I am still oozing from the right sinus. I am not in any pain but I sure wish things would dry up. My energy level is high, which may be attributed to the hormone pills. My mind wants to climb a mountain but logically now I know that I will tire before I reach the top. Things get better every day - little by little.

I am not sleeping the night through. I am not sure why. Some nights it is all I can do to stay awake till 10pm after a full day but it sleep does not last 8 hrs. I don't seem to need the 8 like I used to but I force myself to stay at lest 7 and do fall asleep again. It may be because I am still not healed. I wake up with a dry mouth form not being able to breath through my nose or I roll over and an area of tenderness wakes me up. When your body has an injury your brain tends to focus on it at times during the day and perhaps night to ask for a reassessment. How are things healing. That may be what is going on for me. I guess I may find out the answer when I heal completely.

My bruising from the hospital is fading but is still not gone. I was only in there just over a week. I cannot imagine what they must do to a patient that has to stay longer.

My eyesight is still great and I am not aware of any other symptoms. The Police have not been to the door so I guess the doc that put me to sleep was good to his word and did not make any calls to turn me in. Life is good.

G

No comments: