Friday, March 24, 2006

On Saturday March 18 I was operated on at Foothills Health Center for a Pituitary tumor. I wanted to write this as a record of what I have experienced during this period and perhaps provide some support to others who might have similar circumstance in their life.

I have to say that the medical treatment here in Calgary was the best. Everyone was extremely supportive. I was thankful to find that the people in the system actually cared about my health. This does not seem to be the picture that is painted by the media. The system is broken and we need to mend it. Dare we mention Ralph here? I do not believe this is correct. Many of the staff that helped me through the last few weeks took the time to listen to me talk. They knew I had concerns but they all wanted to hear me talk about my grand son Luke. I made them look at his picture. They wanted to hear my students and the fun we have in class at SAIT. I was not a number to them and they did not leave me to worry. They insisted on calling to get updates on MRI’s or other treatments. They carried me messages from my wife. They appologized for not getting things done sooner when I had not even complained. I thought their efforts were great. I did not record everyone’s name to enter here but the best ones know of my gratitude.

In this first posting I just want to thank everyone for their efforts, for the hours of dedication I witnessed, for effort above and beyond. Thanks for caring you deserve to pat yourselves on the back. It is obvious that you love your job and it shows.

G

No comments: