Sunday, March 26, 2006




The pituitary gland is located in the center section of the brain behind the sinus cavity. I have highlighted the locations in the following pictures and there is a brief description of its function.
My tumor was measured by CT scan to be 3.5 cm by 2cm by 1 cm. That appears big enough to crowd the area around the Pituitary gland and exert pressure upwards towards the optic nerve. This seems to be what was causing my symptom – pressure on the optic nerve.


So it seems we have located the problem. Surgery needed to be scheduled. It certainly was a great relief to now have a diagnosis with an avenue of treatment. The CT scan was conducted at RockyView Hospital on Sunday afternoon March 12th. Thanks to the ER doctor who listened well and said quickly, "I don't think you have a problem with your eyes". He ordered the CT scan and found the tumor. The Emergency department there was great. Since I did not show any sickness or serious symptoms of a tumor they could have left me waiting for hours. They were efficient in locating the problem.
I went to the ER department because I called Healthlink and after a 40 minute discussion it was suggested that I had a serious problem that should be checked out immediately. The health nurse on the phone was very instrumental in having me go to the ER for the disgnosis. Another health servive that worked well.
Prior to that I had spent months trying to find out what my problem was. My initial contact was with an Optometrist. Well I sure had him puzzled. He check my eyes every way he could think of and this is what was said," I don't know what it is but it is not critical". Seems like a contradiction to me. He scheduled me for an apointment with an Optomologist May 12th. Looks like I won't need that appointment after all.

I then had my blood checked for problems. Chemically it was fine and the blood pressure was 125 over 78, pulse 51. All great.

No symptoms except the missing letters. I will explain what that would look like in an eye chart in the next post.

G

No comments: