Wednesday, March 29, 2006


We were expecting a long day at Rockyview Emergency. We left about noon and I was on my way home by 7 pm. I had my diagnosis of a Pituitary brain tumor from the CT scan. They gave me a prescription for steroids because the blood test did not show a good level of hormones in my system.

The ER doctor was great. He had suspected it was not an eye problem at all and that led to the CT scan. He was correct. He contacted the neurologist on call to discuss my condition. I was sent home over night and asked to go to Foothills emergency the next morning.

We arrived at 7am and much to our belief there was no one in the waiting area. When I contacted the ER at Foothills they had already been contacted about me. I was sent to admitting and was admitted to hospital.

They started reviewing my condition and my symptoms and it was at that point that I realized just how serious this was. They asked about my balance, headaches, irregular heartbeat, and numbness to name a few. It appears there can be other symptoms when you have this tumor. Others more serious than the loss of letters.

By the end of the day I was transferred to the neurology wing. I was to have a visual acuity test done on Thursday to determine the extent of the “blindness and I was in the Q for an MRI, which would be more definitive than the CT scan.

They transferred me to a rehab unit while I awaited the MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging).

I was called for the MRI on Wed. afternoon. If you have any feeling of claustrophobia this is one test you might want a sedative for. I did not think I would have a problem but they just started the test and I asked to be extracted. Luckily you have a squeeze bulb to contact them and they can talk to you by intercom.

One thing they do not recommend is opening your eyes during the test. There is really nothing to see except a white plastic wall but it is about 2-3 inches from your face. When I was extracted they placed a cool damp cloth over my eyes and forehead to help me relax. I also adjusted my position on the movable gurney so that no part of my body was touching the sidewalls. Initially my elbows were touching and I think this increased the tension I was feeling. I was able to endure the 40 minute test.

During the test you are fitted with ear muff head phones and allowed to pick a music station. I guess I should have asked them to turn the music up because the only time I could hear it was between tests. So there are really a series of tests ranging from 2 to 4 minutes – total time was 40 minutes in the unit. I was removed so they could inject an MRI dye to help with the clarity of a few more tests. I don’t remember how long those test were.

The noise during the testing was like a jackhammer trying to get into the machine from above. Kind of like listening to the rap music my daughter has been know to listen to. Actually I think the beat of the jackhammer was better than the rap music. It was not unbearable but it did drown out the radio station. Luckily there is a different sound and pitch for each series of test. Don’t know why but at least it prevents boredom.

I returned to the rehab unit.

G

No comments: